Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 4 ounces pork belly, diced
- 4 ounces peeled pearl onions
- 8 ounces mushrooms, quartered
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 3 pounds bone-in skin-on chicken pieces
- salt & pepper
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 leeks, thin slice (white and pale green parts)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3/4 cup red wine (merlot or burgundy)
- 1 TBSP unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups water
- Cook the pork in a dutch oven over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until browned, around 10 minutes. Remove the pork with a slotted spoon (keeping the fat from the pork in the pan) to a large plate lined with a paper towel and set aside.
- Keep the dutch oven over medium heat and add the pearl onions. Cook the pearl onions, stirring occasionally, until browned, around 5 minutes. Transfer the pearl onions with a slotted spoon to the plate with the pork and set aside.
- Keep the dutch oven over medium heat and add the mushrooms. Cook the mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until browned, around 5 minutes. Transfer the mushrroms to the plate with the pork and pearl onions.
- Add the oil to the dutch oven over medium heat. Season the chicken pieces generously with salt & pepper and place them skin-side down into the dutch oven. Cook the chicken pieces until browned, about 8 minutes then flip the chicken pieces over and cook 8 more minutes. Transfer the chicken pieces to a separate plate and set aside.
- Keep the dutch oven over medium heat. Add the carrots, leeks, garlic, and 1/4 tsp salt. Cook while stirring, about 3 minutes.
- Pour the red wine in with the carrots and leeks and cook, using a wooden spoon or spatula to scrape any stuck on bits from the bottom of the pan, until most of the liquid in the pan has evaporated, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in the butter and sprinkle in the flour. Cook while stirring until well combined, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the thyme, bay leaves and water. Return the chicken pieces to the dutch oven skin-side up. Bring to boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and partially cover the dutch oven with a lid. Simmer over low heat until chicken is cooked through, about 35 minutes.
- Stir in the pork, pearl onions, and mushrooms and simmer for 5 more minutes. Taste and season with salt & pepper to taste.