Italian Style Beef and Tortellini Soup
Beef braised with carrots, onions, celery and Italian spices then finished with cheese tortellini and freshly grated Parmesan.
servings: 4 to 6
total time: 2 hours 30 minutes
recipe by: Frankie
- 2 TBSP olive oil plus a little extra
- 1 1/2 pounds stew meat
- salt & pepper
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 cups frozen cheese tortellini (about 19 ounces)
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat the oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Pat the stew meat dry and generously season with salt and pepper.
- Sear the beef in batches (you dont want to overcrowd the beef in the pot or it will steam cook instead of sear) until well browned on all sides, about 5 minutes per batch. Transfer the browned beef to a plate. Continue with remaining beef adding more oil if necessary. Transfer all the browned beef to the plate and set aside.
- Once all the beef is browned and set to the side keep the pot over medium-high heat and add the onion, celery, and carrot to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic to the pot and stir until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Add the broth, basil, thyme, rosemary, and red pepper flakes to the pot and using a wooden spoon scrape the bottom of the pot to release any stuck on bits.
- Return the beef to the pot along with any juices and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until beef is tender, about 2 hours.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add the frozen tortellini and cook, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes or until tortellini is cooked.
- Take off the heat and season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan.