Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 8 ounces (16-20 sheets) phyllo dough
- 1 1/2 pounds mushrooms, thick sliced
- 2 large onions, roughly chopped
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 TBSP fresh thyme
- 1 TBSP fresh oregano
- olive oil (1/2 cup to 3/4 cup total)
- salt & pepper
- Heat 2 TBSP of olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and 1/4 tsp salt to the pan and cook, stirring occasioanlly, until onions begin to caramelize, about 15 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan with the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are browned and most of the moisture has evaporated, about 10 minutes.
- Take off the heat and add the feta, thyme, oregano, 1/4 tsp pepper, and salt to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and lightly oil the inside bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie plate.
- Lay a single sheet of phyllo on the bottom of the pie plate, allowing the edges of the phyllo to hang over the edge of the pie plate. Brush the dough sheet with oil, add another sheet (criss cross from the first sheet) and brush with oil, continue laying sheets (criss crossing them) and brushing with oil until you use half the phyllo (8-10 sheets).
- Spread the mushroom mixture evenly onto the phyllo sheet crust in the pie plate then top with the remaining phyllo sheets one by one, once again allowing the phyllo to hang over the edges of the pie plate, criss crossing the sheets and brushing each one with oil.
- Fold in the overhanging phyllo sheets into the edges of the pie plate to form a crust around the pie.
- Lightly brush the whole top of the pie with more olive oil.
- Bake the pie in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow pie to cool for 10 minutes then slice and serve.