For the dough:
1 packet active dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp or 1/4 oz)
1 cup warm water
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 TBSP plus 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
For the toppings:
6 oz tomato paste
1/2 cup water
8 oz fresh mozzarella, sliced
1/3 cup fresh basil leaves cut into strips
3 TBSP extra virgin olive oil plus a little more
Peeled and crushed whole tomatoes can also be used for the sauce instead of the tomato paste and water.
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
1. Combine the yeast and water and let sit for 15 minutes or until foamy. Add the 1 tsp of olive oil to a large bowl and set aside.
2. Mix in the flour, salt and the 1 TBSP of olive oil. Knead for 5 minutes by hand or on low speed in a stand mixer with a dough hook.
3. Form dough into a ball and place in the large bowl, roll dough around to coat in the olive oil. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
4. Preheat oven to 475° F. Lightly oil a large pizza pan and set aside.
5. Place dough on a flat surface, flatten down the dough with your hands and stretch to fit your pizza pan leaving a little more around the edges to form a crust.
6. Mix the tomato paste and water and spread onto the pizza dough from the center out, to about an inch away from the edges.
7. Drizzle on the 3 TBSP of olive oil in a spiral motion from the center out.
8. Place on the mozzarella slices and then sprinkle on the fresh basil.
9. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 14 minutes or until crust is golden brown.