Potato and Roasted Poblano Tacos
total time: 1 1/2 hours
recipe by: Frankie
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1 lb Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, thin sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup TBSP cooking oil
- 2 ounces Queso Fresco or Feta cheese
- salt & pepper
- 12 tortillas
- optional toppings: sliced jalapenos, sour cream, hot sauce, etc.
- Preheat oven to 475°F.
- Wash the poblano pepper and cut it in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds and stem and place it cut side down on a baking sheet.
- Bake the poblano pepper in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes or until wrinkled and slightly charred.
- Place the pablano pepper in a bowl, cover and let sit for 30 minutes.
- While the pepper sits: Place the potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water, add 1/2 tsp salt, bring to a boil over medium heat and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add the potatoes, onions and 1/2 tsp salt. Cook, stirring frequently while breaking up the potatoes a bit, until browned, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the skins from the pepper and discard. Slice the pepper into thin strips and stir in with the potatoes and onions. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Take the skillet off the heat and stir in the cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with warm tortillas and your favorite taco toppings.