Servings: 4 to 6
Total Time: 1 hour
- 3 poblano peppers
- 2 TBSP unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 ribs of celery, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and large diced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup masa harina
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed, seeded, and diced
- Preheat the broiler on your oven. Spread the poblanos on a foil lined baking sheet and broil the poblanos flipping them over halfway through until the skins are charred, about 5 to 7 minutes per side.
- Allow the poblanos to cool then remove the stems, seeds and blackened skin. Chop and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a dutch oven or large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook while stirring until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat then reduce heat to low. Add the chopped poblanos, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper, cover and simmer on low heat until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Slowly stir in the heavy cream and masa harina and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened and bubbly, about 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve chowder topped with the Monterey Jack cheese and diced jalapenos.