Whole Wheat Seeded Italian Bread
A homemade Italian bread made with a mix of whole wheat and bread flour and topped with sesame and poppy seeds.
total time: 3 hours
recipe by: Frankie
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 packet (2 1/4 tsp) active dry yeast
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup bread flour plus a little extra
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 TBSP plus 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Add the water to a large mixing bowl and sprinkle the yeast on top. Stir in both flours until well combined. Add the salt and 2 TBSP of the oil, continue to stir until a dough is formed and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Knead the dough by hand on a lightly floured surface for about 10 minutes. Form the dough into a ball and place in a large clean bowl. Drizzle the remaining 1 TBSP of oil over the dough and flip the dough around a couple times to coat in the oil. Loosely cover the bowl and set in a warm place to double in size, about 1 hour.
- Push down the dough to deflate, lay the dough on a baking sheet and form into an loaf shape roughly 10x3x1-inches. Set aside and allow the dough to rise uncovered for 40 more minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- The loaf will probably have spread out some so use your fingers to gently push up the sides of the loaf so its roughly 4-inches wide. Using a serrated knife to cut 4 shallow diagonal slits on the top of the dough. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Take the bread out of the oven and brush the brush with the egg white. Sprinkle the top of the bread evenly with the sesame and poppy seeds then put the bread back in the oven and bake for 5 more minutes.
- Take bread out of the oven and place on a cooling rack to cool for 20 minutes before slicing.