Pork Souvlaki with Pitas and Tzatziki
A popular Greek street food, marinated pork grilled on skewers served with pita bread and homemade tzatziki sauce.
total time: 3 hours 15 minutes
recipe by: Frankie
- For the Souvlaki:
- 2 pounds pork shoulder
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 TBSP red wine vinegar
- 4 medium garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 1 TBSP dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- wood skewers
- 6 pitas or Homemeade Pita Bread
- optional: crumbled feta and/or sliced red onion
- For the Tzatziki Sauce:
- 2 cups Greek yogurt
- 1 large English cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely diced
- 2 TBSP fresh lemon juice
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- salt & pepper
- Trim any excess fat from the pork and cut into cubes about 1 to 1 1/2 inches in size. Place the cubed pork in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix together the lemon juice, olive oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. Pour over the pork and toss to coat. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Mix the tzatziki sauce ingredients together in a small bowl, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Remove the pork from the marinade and push the pork cubes onto wooden skewers, 4 to 5 cubes per skewer. Discard marinade.
- Heat a grill or flat cast iron pan over high heat. Grill the pork skewers until theyre browned and cooked through, about 10 to 14 minutes, making sure to turn them every couple minutes so all sides get browned.
- Serve pork with the pitas, tzatziki sauce, and any other toppings such as crumbled feta and/or sliced red onion.