1 TBSP olive oil
2 lbs cremini mushrooms, small chopped
1 large onion, small chopped
1 carrot, peeled and small chopped
1 rib celery, small chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup white wine
28 ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, pureed
1 tsp dried oregano
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup of half & half or heavy cream
12 ounces pasta (flat pastas such as Tagliatelle or linguini are best but any pasta will do)
fresh shaved Parmesan cheese (optional)
Total Time: 8 hours
1. Heat the oil over medium heat in a dutch oven or large pot. Add the mushrooms and vegetables and cook, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes or until most of the liquid from the veggies has evaporated.
2. Stir in the garlic, 1 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Cook about 30 seconds. Pour in the wine and scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon or spatula to release any bits stuck to the bottom. Cook until wine has evaporated, about 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the pureed tomatoes, oregano and bay leaf.
4. Pour the sauce into a slow cooker and cook covered on low for 7 to 8 hours.
5. Cook your pasta and drain.
6. Turn off the slow cooker and stir in the half & half.
7. Serve sauce over cooked pasta and top with shaved Parmesan cheese.