Stovetop Vegetable Paella
A stovetop version of the Spanish rice dish made with brussels sprouts and asparagus.
total time: 1 hour
recipe by: Frankie
- 4 TBSP olive oil, divided
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup cooking sherry
- 1 cup uncooked arborio rice
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup garden peas
- Heat 2 TBSP of the oil in a wok over medium-high heat, tilt the pan to cover the bottom and sides with oil. When the oil is hot add the brussels sprouts and cook without stirring for 3 minutes. Add the asparagus and stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 more minutes. Transfer the brussels sprouts and asparagus to a plate and set aside.
- Keep the wok over medium-high heat and heat up the remaining 2 TBSP of oil. Add the onion, bell pepper, tomatoes, garlic, paprika, thyme, cayenne, 1 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Stir to combine and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables have softened, about 4 minutes.
- Pour in the sherry and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 2 minutes. Add the rice, vegetable broth, and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 20 minutes.
- Take the wok off the heat and stir in the brussels sprouts, asparagus, and peas. Cover the wok and let sit 10 more minutes to allow the rice to absorb any leftover liquid. Season with salt & pepper to taste.