Total Time: 1 hour
- THE DOUGH:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour plus a little extra
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 TBSP olive oil, divided
- THE FILLING:
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 10 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 12 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- In a large bowl mix together the 3 cups of flour, 1 cup water, and 1/2 tsp salt until thoroughly combined and a dough is formed.
- Lightly flour a work surface and knead the dough by hand for about 5 minutes. Transfer the dough back into the bowl, cover the bowl and set aside.
- Heat the 1 TBSP of olive oil in a saute pan over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion softens, about 5 minutes.
- Add the spinach to the pan and cook, stirring often, until spinach is wilted, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, crushed red pepper, and salt to the pan and cook while stirring until garlic is fragrant, just a few seconds. Take the pan off the heat and set aside.
- Lay the dough on a large cutting board or piece of parchment paper (something that will make it easy to transfer to the baking sheet when the dough is filled) and roll out into a rectangle roughly 12x16-inches.
- Spread the spinach mixture evenly on one half-side of the dough. Sprinkle the feta cheese evenly on top of the spinach mixture.
- Fold the other side of the dough over the filling. Lightly press down on the top of the dough to remove any air pockets then press down and pinch around the edges to completely seal in the filling.
- Brush 1 TBSP of olive oil evenly on the bottom of a large rimmed baking sheet. Carefully transfer the filled dough to the oiled baking sheet. Brush the top of the dough with the remaining 1 TBSP of olive oil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until crispy and well browned in spots.
- Transfer the gozleme to a cutting board and cut into 4 pieces.