Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Chips/ Fries
- 2 lb Large Yukon Gold Potatoes, squared off and cut into 1/4 x 1/4 x 4-inch fries
- 6 cup Peanut, corn or vegetable oil
- Table Salt
- 1 lb tilapia. cut into 4 in pieces
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 6- 12 oz light beer or ale
- Put the oil and potatoes in a larger dutch oven. Leave uncovered over high heat until it reaches a boil.
- Allow to boil for 15 minutes, then stir, cook 5-10 minutes more or until crispy. Pull out with a slotted spoon or fish spatula Place on paper towels to drain.
- Lay out on wire wire rack over a baking sheet and place in oven while fish is cooking.
- While fries are cooking prepare your fish: Mix all the dry ingredients EXCEPT the baking powder in a large bowl. Measure out 3/4 cup of the dry mix and set aside.
- Add the baking powder to the bowl and whisk together. Add 6 oz of beer and whisk. Add more beer a splash at a time, until the the proper thickness. So that when you draw the whisk through the clears the bottom of the bowl, but takes a second to fall back.
- Spread the reserved flour onto a baking sheet. Dry the fish with paper towels. Dredge each piece of fish in the flour and dip into the batter. Place the battered fish back onto the floured baking dish.
- Once the fries are out of the dutch oven begin frying the fish. Fry in batches. Using tongs pick up each piece of fish individually. Submerge the piece in oil about half way and gently wiggle it in the oil for 10-20 seconds or so. Then let go. (This will prevent splashing and prevent the fish from sticking to the bottom.)
- Fry for about 6-8 minutes. Removed cooked fish with a slotted spoon or fish spatula and place on paper towels to drain and then onto the wire rack with fish in the oven while you fry the rest of the fish.
- Serve with lemon, malt vinegar and lemon-caper sauce.