Hujiao bing (Taiwanese Pork Pepper Buns)
A popular street food in Taiwan, sesame seed buns filled with layers of peppered pork and green onions.
total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
recipe by: Frankie
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 TBSP soy sauce
- 1 TBSP sesame oil
- 1 TBSP rice wine
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cups thinly sliced green onions (about 2 bunches)
- 1 large egg
- 1 TBSP water
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- For the dough:
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 TBSP cooking oil plus a little extra
- Add the pork, soy sauce, sesame oil, sherry, ginger, honey, white pepper and black pepper to a large bowl and mix very well until thoroughly combined. Cover and refrigerate.
- Combine the yeast and warm water in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the flour and oil and knead (or mix on low speed in a stand mixer with a dough hook) until dough is smooth and elastic, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Form the dough into a ball and rub a little oil all over the dough ball. Loosely cover the dough ball with a towel and let rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Remove the pork filling from the fridge and set aside.
- Punch down the dough and divide up into 10 small equal size dough balls and lay them out on your lighlt floured counter.
- Flatten the dough balls into circles about 5 inches wide.
- Divide the pork mixture evenly amongst the dough circles and spread in the center of leaving about a 1/2 inch edge all around.
- Divide the green onions evenly and layer them on top of the pork.
- Stretch the sides of the dough circles up over the filling to enclose then pinch to seal, make sure your dough is sealed well, you dont want any filling to escape. Form into a bun shape and place seam side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or lightly dusted with flour.
- When all your buns are formed, whisk together the egg and the 1 TBSP water in a small bowl.
- Spread you sesame seeds out on a large plate.
- Brush the tops of the buns with the egg mixture and dip the buns in the sesame seeds to cover just the tops.
- Bake the buns in the preheated oven for 25 minutes or until top is golden brown and pork is cooked through.
hujiao recipesbing recipestaiwanese recipespork recipespepper recipesbuns recipesdairyfree recipesasian recipesmain_dishes recipesground recipes