Parmesan Mashed Potato Casserole
Light and fluffy mashed potatoes with freshly grated Parmesan cheese baked until golden brown and crispy on top.
total time: 1 hour 15 minutes
recipe by: Frankie
- 2 pounds russet potatoes
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- 6 TBSP unsalted butter plus a little extra
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly butter the inside bottom of a 2-quart baking dish.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 1-inch chunks then place in a pot and cover with water. Add 1/2 tsp of salt to the pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes and place in a large mixing bowl, set aside.
- Add the milk and the 6 TBSP of butter to a small saucepan and simmer over medium-low heat while stirring until the butter has melted and the milk is warmed.
- Pour the milk into the bowl with the potatoes. Mash the potatoes and the milk together with a potato masher until no lumps remain.
- Stir the garlic, Parmesan, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper in with the potatoes until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Beat the egg in with the potatoes then spread the potato mixture evenly into the buttered baking dish. Scrape the tines of a fork along the top of the potatoes to make ridges.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until top is golden brown.