Total Time: 8 hours
- 4 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- salt & pepper
- 2 TBSP peanut oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 8 ounces plum tomatoes, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 7-ounce can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- For Serving:
- 16 tostada shells
- 6 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and generously season all over with salt & pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot sear the chicken, skin-side down (in batches if necessary), until well browned, about 7 minutes. Transfer chicken thighs skin-side up to a 5-quart slow cooker and set aside.
- Keep the saute pan over medium-high heat and add the onion, tomatoes, and garlic to the pan and cook for 1 minute while stirring. Carefully pour in the chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and stir while scraping the bottom of the pan to release any stuck on bits. Pour contents into the slow cooker over top of the chicken. Cover the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 7 hours or until chicken is fall off the bone tender.
- Turn off the slow cooker and using a slotted spoon transfer the chicken thighs to a large bowl leaving the liquid in the slow cooker. Shred the chicken using two forks and discarding bones. Return the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker with the liquid and stir to combine. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Warm up the tostada shells and top with the chicken then top with cheese and lettuce.