Total Time: 1 1/2 hours
- 1 lb beef chuck cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 TBSP unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 ribs of celery, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups beef broth
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup wild rice
- salt & pepper
- Generously season the cubed beef with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat and brown the beef on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove the beef and any remaining liquid to a bowl and set aside.
- Melt the butter in the now empty dutch oven and add the onion, celery and carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in the the sliced mushrooms and garlic and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Pour in the broths and scrape the bottom of the pot to release any stuck on bits. Add the wild rice and bring to a boil.
- Return the beef and any liquid back into the pot and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until rice is tender. Add salt and pepper to taste.