2 pork shoulder chops, about 3/4 inch thick
1 TBSP cooking oil
1 large yellow onion, halved and sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 Golden Delicious apple, peeled, cored and sliced 1/2 inch thick
1 TBSP all-purpose flour
3/4 cup chicken broth
1 sprig fresh sage
salt & pepper
Total Time: 2 1/2 hours
1. Generously season both sides of the chops with salt and pepper.
2. Heat the oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and apples and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
3. Reduce heat to low. Add the flour and stir until well combined.
4. Slowly pour in the chicken broth, and scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon or spatula to release any stuck on bits.
5. Add the pork chops to the pan, arranging them so the chops are on the bottom and the onions and apples are on top. Place the sprig of sage on top of everything. Place a lid on the dutch oven and cook, covered, for about 2 hours, or until pork chops are tender.
6. Discard the sage, remove chops to a plate and loosely cover with foil.
7. Increase heat to medium and cook the sauce for a couple minutes to thicken up a bit, add salt and pepper to taste.
8. Pour the sauce over the chops and serve.