2 TBSP cooking oil
8 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
salt & pepper
8 bread rolls or buns (optional)
4 green onions, trimmed and chopped
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 TBSP distilled white vinegar
2 TBSP honey
3 Scotch bonnet or habanero chiles, stemmed and chopped
1 TBSP fresh minced ginger
1 TBSP ground allspice berries
1 TBSP fresh thyme leaves
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup (3 to 4 ounces) fresh chopped pineapple
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
4 medium garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
Pineapple Avocado Salsa
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) fresh diced pineapple
1 medium avocado, halved, pitted and diced
1/2 cup finely diced onion
1 TBSP finely diced jalapeno
1 TBSP lime juice
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
Total Time: 3 hours
1. Puree all the jerk sauce ingredients together in a blender.
2. Dry the chicken thighs with paper towels and generously season with salt and pepper on both sides.
3. Heat the oil in a large pan over high heat until it begins to smoke. Working in batches, sear the chicken, skin-side down, for 5 minutes then flip and cook 4 more minutes.
4. Place the seared chicken thighs skin-side up in the slow cooker and pour the jerk sauce over top.
5. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
6. Turn off the slow cooker and carefully remove the chicken thighs to a plate, discard the skin and bones, shred the chicken with two forks and then stir back into the jerk sauce.
7. Mix the salsa ingredients together in a bowl and serve with the chicken.