Creamy Tomato Vegetable Soup with Spinach
A pureed tomato soup made with onion, celery, carrot, and bell pepper then finished with fresh baby spinach.
total time: 1 hour
recipe by: Frankie
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 rib of celery, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- salt & pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 28-ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 5 ounces fresh baby spinach, stems removed and chopped
- Heat the oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. When the oil is hot add the onion, celery, carrot, bell pepper, 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Stir to combine and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are lightly browned and softened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the tomatoes and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover the pot and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Puree the soup using an immersion blender or a stand blender in batches.
- Stir in the spinach, cover the pot and simmer about 5 more minutes.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste.