Total Time: 45 minutes
- The Caramelized Onions:
- 2 TBSP unsalted butter
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 3 TBSP dry sherry
- salt & pepper
- The Sandwich:
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 2 TBSP unsalted butter, softened
- 4 slices Gruyere cheese
- THE CARAMELIZED ONIONS:
- Heat the butter and oil in a dutch oven or large cast-iron pan over medium-high heat. Add the sliced onions to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sherry to the onions and scrape the bottom of the pan to release any stuck on bits. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 more minutes or until the liquid in the pan has evaporated. Take off the heat and set aside.
- SANDWICH ASSEMBLY:
- Preheat a large non-stick skillet or griddle over medium heat.
- Thoroughly butter one side of each piece of bread. Lay two of the bread slices buttered side down onto the pan. Place one piece of cheese on each bread slice. Spread the onions evenly over the cheese then top with another slice of cheese. Top with the remaining slices of bread, buttered side up.
- Cook until the bottom bread slice is golden brown and toasted then carefully flip and toast the other side. Transfer from the pan to a cutting board and slice sandwich in half. Enjoy.