Turkey Cabbage Rolls
Ground turkey, rice, and onion rolled in cabbage leaves and braised in a garlic tomato sauce.
total time: 2 hours 15 minutes
recipe by: Frankie
- 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 15-ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- salt & pepper
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 tsp fresh dill
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 8 large cabbage leaves
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Make the rice: Add the rice and water to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil then cover the pan and reduce heat to low. Cook on low, DO NOT REMOVE THE LID, for 10 minutes. Take off the heat, KEEP THE LID ON, and let sit with the lid on 10 more minutes.
- While the rice cooks: Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 5 seconds. Pour the crushed tomatoes into the pan along with 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Take off the heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix the cooked rice, turkey, egg, onion, dill, red pepper flakes, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper until thoroughly combined.
- Trim any thick parts of the vein from the cabbage leaves and lay out them out on a flat surface. Divide the meat mixture evenly and place in the center of each cabbage leaf. Fold in the sides of the cabbage leaf and roll to seal the meat mixture in the cabbage leaf.
- Pour HALF the tomato sauce into a 9x13 baking dish. Lay the cabbage rolls seam side down on the tomato sauce. Pour the remaining tomato sauce over top of the cabbage rolls.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour.
- Remove the foil and sprinkle the Parmesan on top. Bake, uncovered, 15 more minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow 10 minutes to cool before serving.