Eat your Heart Out Sugar-Free Sugar Cookies
These sugar cookies are sweetened with only date sugar (ground dehydrated dates) and the icing is simply honey sweetened cream cheese.
servings: 45 2-inch cookies
total time: 3 hours
recipe by: Rae
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup date sugar (ground dehydrated dates)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 TBSP milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 TBSP honey
- In a mixing bowl cream the butter and date sugar together until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Scrap the sides of the bowl and then mix in the egg and vanilla extract until once again fluffy, about 1 minute.
- In a second bowl mix together the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Add half of the flour mix to the sugar mix and mix until it is all combined. Add the remaining flour mixture and mix until all the flour is incorporated.
- Make a flat disk with the dough and cover. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Roll out the dough on a silcone or a floured surface to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Use a cookie cutter and out shapes of your choice and place on an ungreased baking sheet lined with a silcone sheet or parchment paper.
- Bake for about 6-8 minutes. Slide the cookies onto a wire rack to cool. Allow to cool completely before icing.
- Mix the icing ingredients together in a small dish and stir until smooth. Add food coloring if you wish. Decorate your cookies.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator.