Folded tortillas covered in pureed black beans and garnished with Monterey jack cheese, avocado, cilantro, and sour cream.
total time: 9 hours
recipe by: Frankie
- 8 ounces dry black beans
- 2 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- salt & pepper
- 6 corn or flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese, finely shredded
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and diced
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Rinse the beans and place in a large bowl. Cover the beans with plenty of water (about 2-inches above the beans). Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
- Drain the beans and rinse thoroughly. Place the drained beans in a large saucepan and cover with plenty of water (about 2-inches above the beans again). Add the garlic and onion and bring to a boil over high heat. When the water starts boiling cover the pan with a lid and reduce the heat to medium-low. Keep covered and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Take the lid off the pan and check the beans, if theyre tender take them off the heat, otherwise place the lid back on and continue to cook the beans until tender. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the beans, onion, and garlic to a blender, reserving any liquid in the pan. Add the chili powder, cumin, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/8 tsp pepper to the blender and puree the beans adding a little bit of the reserved liquid from the pan until the puree has a consistency of a thick sauce. Taste and add a little extra salt & pepper if necessary.
- Spread some of the bean puree in the bottom of a large serving dish and set aside.
- Warm up the tortillas so they become flexible. Working one at a time lay out a tortilla then spread some bean puree all over the top. Fold the tortilla in half and spread some beans on top then fold in half again and place on the serving dish (you should end up with tortillas folded into quarters layered with beans). Continue with the remaining tortillas. Spread the remaining bean puree over top of the folded tortillas.
- Sprinkle on the Monterey Jack cheese then sprinkle on the diced avocado. Sprinkle on the fresh cilantro and drizzle with sour cream.
enfrijoladas recipesvegetarian recipesbeans recipesmexican recipesmain_dishes recipeslegumes recipes