Kenyan Chicken Pilau
total time: 1 hour
- 4 TBSP olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cardamom
- 2 medium garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 lbs bone-in chicken drumsticks, skin removed
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice, rinsed thoroughly
- 2 cups chicken stock
- salt & pepper
- Heat the oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the sliced onion to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
- Add the cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cardamom, and garlic to the pan and stir to combine.
- Generously season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Cook the chicken in the onions and spices, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Add the rice and 1/2 tsp of salt to the pan, stir to combine. Slowly pour in the chicken stock and scrape the bottom and sides of the pan with a wooden spoon or spatula to release any stuck on bits. Bring to a boil.
- Cover the dutch oven tightly with a lid and reduce heat to low. Cook, DONT REMOVE THE LID, on low for 20 minutes.
- Take off the heat, DONT REMOVE THE LID YET, and let rest 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.