Meatloaf with Mushroom Gravy
A ground beef and pork meatloaf served with a mushroom gravy.
total time: 2 hours 45 minutes
recipe by: Frankie
- For Meatloaf:
- 1 lb ground beef, preferably 80/20
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 TBSP hot sauce
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dry thyme
- 1 large egg
- For Mushroom Gravy:
- 12 oz white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 TBSP unsalted butter
- 2 TBSP flour
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- drippings from meatloaf
- FOR THE MEATLOAF:
- In a large bowl combine the bread, hot sauce, milk, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and thyme, mix well.
- Mix in the egg. Add the pork and ground beef and with your hands thoroughly mix everything together.
- Form mixture into a loaf about 5x9 inches or so. Wrap with aluminum foil and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Remove the foil from the meatloaf and place on a flat wire rack. Pace the wire rack over a baking pan or sheet pan to catch the drippings.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 90 minutes or until the internal temperature is about 155° F.
- Remove meatloaf from oven and place on a serving dish tented with foil, let rest 10 minutes.
- Save any drippings in the pan from the meatloaf and set aside.
- FOR THE MUSHROOM GRAVY:
- In a large sauce pan add the butter and sliced mushrooms, cook over medium high and cook stirring occasionally about 5 to 6 minutes or until mushrooms are brown and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Pour in the leftover drippings from the meatloaf in the pan and stir in the flour.
- Reduce heat to medium and slowly pour in the broths.
- Reduce to low and simmer while stirring until desired thickness.