Total Time: 1 hour
- 1/2 lb pork side (sliced pork belly)
- salt & pepper
- 1 yellow onion peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp white pepper
- smidgen of nutmeg
- smidgen of cayenne pepper
- 2 lb parsnips cut into 2 in pieces
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup Parmesan shredded + 2 TBSP for garnish
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Heat a Dutch Oven over medium high heat. Season the pork belly with salt and pepper and brown well on both sides. Remove the strips of pork belly and set aside.
- In the oil left from the pork belly saute the onions and garlic until aromatic and just beginning to brown on the sides.
- Add the kosher salt, white pepper, nutmeg, cayenne, parsnips, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 20-30 minutes until the parsnips are tender.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender adding pinches of Parmesan as you blend.(If the soup is too thick add a little water to get to the consistency you like.
- Add the heavy cream and blend until combined. Add the lemon juice and stir in.
- Taste and season the soup to your liking.
- Serve with more Parmesan and bits of the browned pork belly on top.