Turkey Drumstick Osso Buco
Turkey drumsticks and veggies braised in white wine and topped with gremolata.
total time: 3 hours
recipe by: Frankie
- 3 turkey drumsticks
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 TBSP unsalted butter
- 3 TBSP olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- 1 TBSP lemon zest
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley or 1 TBSP dried parsley
- Preheat oven to 275°F.
- Pat the turkey legs with paper towels to dry. Generously season the the turkey legs with salt and pepper and then dredge them in the flour and shake off any excess flour.
- Melt the butter with 2 TBSP of the oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Place the turkey legs in the pan and brown, about 4 minutes per side (dont overcrowd the pan, brown the turkey legs in batches if you need to). Remove turkey legs and set aside.
- Clean out the pan and heat the remaining TBSP olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot and celery and cook until vegetables begin to brown, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Pour in the wine and cook until liquid has reduced, around 2 minutes.
- Return the turkey to the pan, sprinkle with the thyme and pour in the chicken broth. Bring to a boil, cover and transfer to the preheated oven.
- Cook in the oven for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until turkey is fall off the bone tender.
- In a small bowl combine the parsley, garlic and lemon zest to make a gremolata.
- To serve: transfer turkey to shallow bowls with some of the sauce and sprinkled with the gremolata. Salt and pepper to taste. Goes great with risotto, polenta or mashed potatoes.
Good but probably better with turkey thighs