Asian Style Beef Stew
An Asian inspired beef stew with onion, potatoes, carrots, and Asian spices.
total time: 2 hours 30 minutes
recipe by: Frankie
- 2 pounds chuck roast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 TBSP peanut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 TBSP freshly minced ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups water
- 3 TBSP soy sauce
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 whole star anise
- 8 ounces carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 12 ounces russet potatoes, cut into 1-inch slices
- salt & pepper
- Heat the oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot lay the beef pieces in a single layer in the pot. Cook without moving the beef for about 3 minutes or until beef is well browned on one side.
- Stir the beef and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, about 3 more minutes.
- Add the onion, ginger, and garlic to the pot and stir to combine. Cook, stirring often, for about 3 minutes.
- Add the water, soy sauce, crushed red pepper, and star anise. Stir to combine and bring to a boil.
- Place a lid on the dutch oven and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer over medium-low heat while covered for about 90 minutes.
- Remove the lid from the dutch oven and stir in the carrots and potatoes. Increase the heat to medium-high and return to a full boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until the vegetables are tender, about 45 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season stew with salt & pepper to taste.
asian recipesbeef recipesstew recipesdairyfree recipesglutenfree recipesone-pot recipesstews recipes