Chimichurri Roasted Chicken
total time: 2 hours
- whole chicken (4 to 5 pounds)
- THE CHIMICHURRI:
- 2 bunches fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/2 bunch fresh oregano leaves, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a wire baking rack on top.
- Pulse the herbs and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped. Transfer the chopped herbs and garlic to a large bowl and mix with the olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper until well combined, taste and season with additional salt if necessary. Divide the chimichurri sauce evenly into 2 separate bowls. Cover one of the bowls and set aside for later.
- Remove the giblets from the cavity of the chicken then pat the chicken dry all over with paper towels.
- Lay the chicken breast-side up on the baking rack. Rub ONE of the bowls of chimichurri sauce all over the chicken, including under the skin as best as you can.
- Truss the chicken then roast in the preheated oven for 30 minutes
- Loosely tent the chicken with a piece of aluminum foil and roast until the chicken has an internal temperature of at least 165°F, 55 to 65 more minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and transfer the chicken to a cutting board to rest for 15 minutes.
- Serve the chicken with the remaining bowl of chimichurri sauce on the side.