Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 1 cup very warm water
- 1 packet (1/4 oz) active dry yeast
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups bread flour plus a little extra
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 TBSP olive oil plus a little extra
- Mix together the water and yeast in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in both flours and the salt until everything is well combined and a sticky dough is formed.
- Knead the dough by hand on a lightly floured surface for about 7 minutes.
- Roll the dough into a smooth ball and place in a large clean bowl.
- Drizzle 1 TBSP olive oil over the dough then flip it around a couple times to evenly coat the dough in oil.
- Loosely cover the bowl and place in a warm place until dough has doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- Punch down the dough and separate into 6 equal pieces. Roll each piece of dough into a ball the sprinkle a little flour on the dough balls and let them sit for 20 minutes.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- When the skillet is hot drizzle a little olive oil in the pan and tilt to coat.
- Working one at a time stretch a dough ball into a circle roughly 7-inches in diameter then place in the hot skillet. Cook for about 30 seconds then flip the dough over and cook for about 2 more minutes or until dough begins to blister. Transfer the pita to a plate and repeat this process with the remaining dough balls.