Mughali Chicken Curry
An Indian chicken curry dish made with boneless chicken thighs, cashews, fried onions, spices, and a touch of cream.
total time: 1 hour 15 minutes
recipe by: Frankie
- 15 whole cashews (about 1 ounce)
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 2 medium red onions, chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 TBSP freshly chopped ginger
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt & freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- roti, paratha and/or steamed rice for serving
- Place the cashews in a bowl and cover with hot water then set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large wok or saute pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and browned, about 25 minutes.
- Transfer the onions to a blender or food processor. Drain the cashews and add them to the blender also along with the garlic and ginger. Pulse into a paste then transfer the paste back into the pan.
- Increase the heat to medium-high then stir in the cumin, coriander, cardamom, cinnamon, cayenne, 1 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp black pepper.
- Add the 1 cup of water and the chicken pieces to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pan and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer while covered, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through, about 25 minutes.
- Take the lid off the pan and slowly stir in the heavy cream. Simmer, stirring often, until sauce thickens, about 10 more minutes.
- Take off the heat and season with additional salt & pepper to taste then serve with flatbread and/or rice.