Pollo al Ajillo (Spanish Garlic Chicken)
Bone-in chicken pieces simmered in garlic, rosemary, and white wine.
total time: 1 hour
recipe by: Frankie
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 3 pounds bone-in skin-on chicken thighs and legs
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 8 medium garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cooking sherry
- 1 cup water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- Heat the oil in a large dutch oven or saute pan over medium-high heat.
- Generously season the chicken pieces all over with salt & pepper.
- When the oil is hot add a few pieces of chicken to the pot skin-side down and cook the chicken without moving for about 4 minutes or until the skin is browned then flip the chicken over and cook another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer the browned chicken to a plate then brown the remaining chicken pieces the same way. Transfer all the browned chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Discard all but about 1 TBSP of oil from the pot.
- Add the sliced garlic to the pot and cook while stirring for just a few seconds or until garlic becomes fragrant.
- Pour the sherry into the pot then use a wooden spoon or spatula to scrape the bottom to release any stuck on bits.
- Continue to cook for a few minutes until most of the sherry has evaporated.
- Add the water, bay leaves, and rosemary to the pan then nestle the chicken pieces, skin-side up, into the pan and bring to a boil.
- When the water begins to boil cover the pot with a lid. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for about 25 minutes.
- Take the lid off the pan and continue to simmer the chicken about 10 more minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
pollo recipesajillo recipesspanish recipesgarlic recipeschicken recipesdairyfree recipeseasy recipesglutenfree recipesone-pot recipespoultry recipesleg recipesthighs recipesmain_dishes recipes