Spaghetti alla Nerano
total time: 30 minutes
- 1 pound uncooked spaghetti
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 pound zucchini, cut into thin rounds
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 ounces provolone cheese, grated
- salt & pepper
- fresh basil leaves
- Cook the spaghetti al dente according to package directions. Drain the spaghetti reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot fry the zucchini rounds (in batches) until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes per batch. Transfer the zucchini to a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
- Keep any leftover oil in the pan and reduce the heat to medium. Add the cooked spaghetti, reserved pasta water, garlic, HALF the fried zucchini, HALF the grated provolone, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper to the pan. Cook stirring often for about 3 minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat and season with additional salt & pepper if necessary.
- Transfer the pasta to a large serving bowl and top with the remaining fried zucchini and provolone then sprinkle basil on top.