Spinach and Zucchini Lasagna
An easy cheesy vegetable lasagna made with uncooked lasagna noodles, no preboiling required.
total time: 2 hours
recipe by: Frankie
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced lengthwise about 1/8-inch thick
- 12 ounces frozen spinach, thawed
- 3 TBSP olive oil
- 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 TBSP freshly chopped basil leaves
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 TBSP dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper
- 15 ounces whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 12 to 15 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 16 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Lightly season the zucchini slices with salt and pepper and cook (in batches) until lightly browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the zucchini slices to a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, add the garlic and cook while stirring until fragrant, about 5 seconds. Stir in the tomatoes, water, oregano, red pepper flakes, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the spinach and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in the fresh basil and take off the heat. Season with salt and pepper if necessary and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the ricotta, Parmesan, and eggs. Set aside.
- Assemble the lasagna:
- â€¢ SPREAD A LITTLE BIT OF THE SAUCE EVENLY ON THE BOTTOM OF A 9X13 BAKING DISH, JUST ENOUGH TO LIGHTLY COVER THE BOTTOM.
- â€¢ EVENLY LAY ON 4 TO 5 UNCOOKED NOODLES TO COVER.
- â€¢ SPREAD ONE-THIRD OF THE SAUCE EVENLY ON TOP OF THE NOODLES.
- â€¢ LAY HALF THE SLICED ZUCCHINI ON TOP OF THE SAUCE.
- â€¢ SPREAD HALF THE RICOTTA MIXTURE EVENLY ON TOP OF THE ZUCCHINI.
- â€¢ SPRINKLE ONE-THIRD OF THE MOZZARELLA EVENLY ON TOP OF THE RICOTTA.
- â€¢ EVENLY LAY ON 4 TO 5 MORE NOODLES TO COVER.
- â€¢ SPREAD HALF OF THE REMAINING SAUCE EVENLY ON TOP OF THE NOODLES.
- â€¢ LAY THE REMAINING SLICED ZUCCHINI ON TOP OF THE SAUCE.
- â€¢ SPREAD THE REMAINING RICOTTA MIXTURE EVENLY ON TOP OF THE ZUCCHINI.
- â€¢ SPRINKLE HALF THE REMAINING MOZZARELLA EVENLY ON TOP OF THE RICOTTA.
- â€¢ LAY ON 4 TO 5 MORE NOODLES TO COVER.
- â€¢ SPREAD ON THE REMAINING SAUCE.
- â€¢ SPRINKLE THE REMAINING MOZZARELLA ON TOP.
- Lightly brush oil on one side of a piece of aluminum foil (to keep the cheese from sticking) and cover the baking dish tightly with the foil (oiled side down). Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.