Tuscan Farro Soup
A soup from the Tuscany region of Italy made with farro, white beans, and fresh vegetables.
total time: 1 hour 45 minutes
recipe by: Frankie
- 1 cup dried great northern beans, rinsed
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 pound roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked farro, rinsed
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ounces baby spinach, chopped
- 1 ounce freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Add the beans and 6 cups of water to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Place a lid on the pan and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer beans over medium-low heat until just tender, about 1 hour.
- Drain the beans and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the celery, carrot, garlic, and onion and cook, stirring often, until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, farro, 7 cups of water, 2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp black pepper then bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot and reduce the heat to medium-low then simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until farro is cooked (tender, but a little chewy), about 35 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach, Parmesan, and cooked beans.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste.
tuscan recipesfarro recipessoup recipesdairyfree recipesglutenfree recipesvegetable recipeslegumes recipesitalian recipes