Whole Wheat and Oat Sandwich Bread
A soft sandwich bread made with whole wheat flour, rolled oats, and bread flour.
total time: 2 hours
recipe by: Frankie
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup warm whole milk
- 1 packet (2 1/4 tsp) active dry yeast
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup bread flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp olive oil plus a little extra
- Add the water and milk to a large mixing bowl and sprinkle the yeast on top.
- Stir in the flours, oats, and salt until a dough is formed.
- Lightly flour a flat work surface then knead the dough by hand for 10 minutes and form the dough into a ball.
- Add the 1 tsp of oil to a large clean bowl. Place the dough ball in the bowl with the oil and flip it around a few times to coat the dough ball in oil.
- Loosely cover the bowl and set in a warm place to rise until the dough has at least doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- Punch the dough down to deflate then gently knead the dough while in the bowl for about 1 minute.
- Lightly oil the inside bottom and sides of a 8x4-inch metal loaf pan. Transfer the dough to the oiled loaf pan and press the dough in the pan so its even and reaches the corners. Brush the top of the dough evenly with a little more oil then set aside to rise, uncovered, for 20 more minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- When the oven is preheated bake the bread for about 35 minutes (The bread should have an internal temperature of about 190°F and sound hollow when tapped).
- Take the bread out of the oven and let sit for 10 minutes then remove the bread from the pan and transfer to a cooling rack. Cool on the rack for about 1 hour before slicing.