A slow cooked beef stew from the Philippines containing beef chuck, onion, tomatoes, potatoes, soy sauce, and citrus juice.
total time: 3 hours 30 minutes
recipe by: Frankie
- 2 TBSP fresh lime juice
- 1 TBSP fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- salt & pepper
- 2 pounds boneless beef chuck, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 TBSP peanut oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 8 ounces Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup water
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 8 ounces russet potatoes, scrubbed and cut into bite-size pieces
- In a large bowl stir together the lime juice, orange juice, soy sauce, and 1/2 tsp ground black pepper until well combined. Add the beef pieces to the bowl and stir to coat the beef. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Heat the oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot remove the beef from the marinade, reserving any leftover marinade liquid in the bowl for later, and place the beef in the hot oil. Cook the beef until browned on all sides, about 8 minutes.
- Add the onion, tomato, and garlic to the pot and cook, stirring often, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the reserved marinade liquid, the water, and the bay leaves and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover the pot with a tight fitting lid. Simmer over medium-low heat until beef is very tender, about 90 minutes.
- Take the lid off the pot and add the potatoes. Simmer the stew uncovered over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender and the stew thickens a bit, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Taste the stew and season with additional salt & pepper if needed. Remove the bay leaves from the stew and serve.
beef recipesmechado recipesdairyfree recipesglutenfree recipesasian recipesfilipino recipesstews recipes