Cajun Style Chicken and Rice
total time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt & pepper
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 ribs of celery, diced
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- In a small bowl mix together the paprika, garlic, oregano, thyme, cayenne, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp black pepper then set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot lay the chicken thighs skin-side down in the pot and cook until well browned on one side, about 5 minutes.
- Flip the chicken thighs over and cook on the other side for about 5 more minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside leaving any fat in the pot.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, and celery to the pot and cook, stirring ocassionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir the spice mixture in with the vegetables until well combined then stir in the water and use a wooden spoon or spatula to scrape the bottom of the pot to release any stuck on bits.
- Remove the skin from the chicken thighs and discard then place the skinless chicken thighs in the pot and bring to a boil.
- When the water begins to boil place a tight fitting lid on the pot and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer while covered over medium-low heat until chicken is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken thighs to a plate and set aside to cool.
- Stir the rice into the pot and return to a boil over medium-high heat. When the water starts to boil place the lid back on the pot and reduce the heat to low. Simmer over low heat, KEEPING THE LID ON, for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes turn off the heat and let the rice sit on the stove, KEEPING THE LID ON, for 15 more minutes.
- Shred the chicken meat off the bone and discard the bones then stir the shredded chicken into the pot.
- Taste and season with additional salt & pepper if needed then top with the sliced green onion.