Chocolate Date Cupcakes
total time: 1 1/2 hours
- 2 cups cake flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup softened unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup water
- 10 Medjool dates, pitted
- 8 ounces Medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Line 2 12-cup cupcake pans with cupcake liners.
- Sift the dry ingredients together: flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Use a whisk to whip the egg whites to a stiff peek (like a meringue) and set aside.
- Whip the egg yolk until pale in color and fluffy. Add the butter and whip together.
- Add the yogurt, milk or buttermilk, apple cider vinegar and the vanilla.
- Place the water and dates into a small pot and bring to a boil. Place into the food processor and puree until smooth. Add this mixture to the milk and egg mixture and whip together.
- Pour in 1/3 of the flour mixture and beat in gently, beat in another 1/3, and finally add the remaining 1/3 and beat in.
- Fold in the whipped egg whites.
- Fill the cupcake liners 3/4 of the way full of the batter.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.
- Add the dates and water to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave or in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water stirring often.
- Add the melted chocolate, heavy cream, and vanilla into the food processor with the dates and pulse a few times until well mixed and thickened.
- Frost the cooled cupcakes.