Total Time: 6 hours 30 minutes
- 2 1/2 lb chuck roast
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- salt & pepper
- 1 TBSP peanut oil
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 3 medium size carrots, peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 head green cabbage, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 tsp dried ground thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- Season the chuck roast with the 1 tsp kosher salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Once the oil shows wisps of smoke add the chuck roast and sear on all sides, until well browned and crisp about 5 minutes per side.
- Put the roast into a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker. Pour the barley into the slow cooker around the beef. Cover with the carrots, onions, garlic and cabbage.
- In the same pan used for searing the beef mix the water, thyme, bay leaf, 1 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper together and bring to a boil then pour into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed.