Three Cheese Stuffed Crust Pizza
A cheesy pizza delight, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese on a homemade pizza crust stuffed with cheddar cheese.
total time: 1 hour 45 minutes
recipe by: Frankie
- THE DOUGH:
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 TBSP plus 1 tsp olive oil
- THE SAUCE and CHEESE:
- 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, cut into 1/4-inch thick strips
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- THE DOUGH:
- Add the water to a large mixing bowl then sprinkle on the yeast. Stir in the flour until well combined then add the salt and 1 TBSP of the olive oil and continue to stir until a dough is formed and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Knead the dough by hand for 5 minutes then form into a smooth ball. Place the dough ball into a large clean bowl and drizzle the 1 tsp of oil over top. Flip the dough ball around a few times to cover the outside in the oil.
- Loosely cover the bowl and set in a warm place to rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- THE SAUCE:
- Add the crushed tomatoes to a medium size saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper. Bring to a slight boil then reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Take the sauce off the heat and set aside.
- THE ASSEMBLY:
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Lightly oil a 14-inch pizza pan.
- Punch the dough down and stretch the dough to a circle roughly 16-inches in diameter and place it on your pizza pan so it overhangs about 1-inch all around. Lay the cheddar strips along the outside of the dough circle and then roll the edges of the dough over the cheese and press down to form a crust with the cheese sealed in.
- Spread the sauce evenly over middle of the dough. Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella evenly on top then sprinkle on the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 11 to 13 minutes or until crust is golden brown.