Inspired by Olive Garden's soup of the same name with slight variations in ingredients and cooking.
total time: 30 minutes
recipe by: Frankie
- 1 lb spicy Italian sausage
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1/2 lb kale, stems removed and chopped
- 1 medium zucchini quartered then sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 lb Yukon gold potatoes quartered then sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- In a large pot or dutch oven cook the sausage over medium-high heat until no longer pink, breaking it up into small pieces as it cooks, about 5 minutes. Remove the sausage and set aside. Discard any excess fat from the pan.
- Heat the olive oil in the pan over medium-high. Add the onion, carrots and celery to the pan along with 1/2 tsp of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken broth and scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to release any stuck on bits. Bring to a boil then add the potatoes and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until potatoes are tender about 10 minutes.
- Add the kale, zucchini and cooked sausage to the pan and cook for 5 more minutes. Slowly stir in the heavy cream and cook until heated through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
I want more.
I could eat this everyday!