Servings: 6 to 8
1 TBSP butter
1 cup yellow onions, rough chop
3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
1 cup carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
1 cup celery, rough chopped
1 bay leaf
pinch white pepper
1/2 gallon water
1 tsp vegetable base
2 lb cauliflower, cored and cut into large pieces (1 large head)
1 lb Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut to 1/2 inch dice
1/2 pinch cayenne pepper
1/2 pinch nutmeg
1 cup smoke Gouda cheese, shredded
1/4 cup green onions, sliced, optional
Total Time: 1.5 hours
1. Melt the butter and sweat the onions, garlic, carrots, celery, bay leaf, thyme & pepper in a covered Dutch oven over medium heat until tender.
2. Add the water, vegetable base, cauliflower and potatoes to the Dutch oven and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for about 30 minutes or until vegetables are very tender and the liquid has reduced by 1/4 volume.
4. Remove from heat and puree with a hand blender until velvety and smooth. (if using a stand blender puree in batches)
5. Add the cheese and puree until smooth once again.
6. Serve with green onions if you wish.