1 cup ditalini pasta
1 cup cottage cheese
1 cup cheddar jack cheese, finely shredded (or 1/2 cup cheddar and 1/2 cup Monterey jack)
1 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 tsp olive oil
2 TBSP water
1 TBSP mayo
1 cup flour
1/4 cup Parmesan, fresh grated
salt & pepper
Total Time: 1 1/2 hours
1. Place the cottage cheese, 1 egg, cayenne, nutmeg in a food processor and season with salt & pepper. Puree until smooth then pour into a large mixing bowl.
2. Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta then mix in with the cottage cheese mixture. Let sit to cool.
3. When cool mix in the cheddar jack cheese.
4. Form 25 like sized balls (a little smaller than a ping pong ball) and place on a baking sheet in the freezer for 25 minutes or until frozen.
5. In a pie plate mix the panko breadcrumbs, paprika, and olive oil, season with a little salt and pepper. Toast the breadcrumbs at 425 degrees F. for 7 minutes. Set aside 1/2 cup of the toasted crumbs for later use.
6. Whisk the 2 eggs, mayo and water in a medium bowl.
7. Place the flour in a second pie plate.
8. Pull the balls from the freezer: one by one roll each ball in the flour, then in the egg, and finally into the breadcrumbs. Fully encase each ball with all three layers of coating. Then set back on the baking sheet.
9. Allow the balls to thaw on the baking sheet.
10. In a pie plate mix the reserved breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese.
11. Roll each ball in the palm of your hands to make a smooth shape.
12. Coat in the Parmesan bread crumbs.
13. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes.
14. Serve by themselves or with hot sauce, bbq sauce or ranch to dip.