Spanish Chicken and Chorizo Stew
A Spanish influenced stew with chicken, chorizo sausage, tomatoes, onions, peppers, and Manzanilla olives.
servings: 4 to 6
total time: 2 hours
recipe by: Frankie
- 3 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- salt & pepper
- 8 ounces bulk chorizo sausage
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 14-ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 cup sliced Manzanilla olives
- Pat the chicken thighs dry and generously season with salt and pepper, set aside.
- Brown the chorizo in a dutch oven over medium-high heat breaking it up as it cooks, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon transfer the cooked chorizo to a paper towel lined plate to drain, set aside.
- Place the chicken thighs (in batches, if necessary) skin side down in the dutch oven with the chorizo fat and cook until browned, flip over and brown the other side, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer the browned chicken thighs to a plate and set aside.
- Discard all but 1 tsp of fat from the pot. Keep the heat at medium-high, add the onions and bell peppers to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and stir until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Add the white wine and scrape the bottom of the pot using a wooden spoon to release any stuck on bits. Cook until wine evaporates, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook while stirring until browned, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken stock, diced tomatoes, cumin, and paprika. Add the chicken thighs and chorizo and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the chicken thighs from the pot and shred the chicken using two forks discarding the skin and bones.
- Return the shredded chicken to the pot and cook uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Take off the heat and stir in the green olives, add salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve as is or goes great over rice.