Cauliflower and Ricotta Grandma Pizza
A grandma pizza is cooked in an olive-oil coated rectangle baking pan. Cheese is usually placed on first with the sauce going on top of the pizza. This one has ricotta and cauliflower.
total time: 25 hours
recipe by: Rae
- The Dough:
- 1 packet (2 tsp) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 TBSP olive oil, divided
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 TBSP white balsamic vinegar
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 8 oz ricotta cheese
- 1 TBSP chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- THE DOUGH:
- In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, mix the yeast, water, and 1 TBSP of the oil. Add the flour and salt and mix until well combined and dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl (adding a little more water or flour if necessary).
- Knead the dough by hand or use a dough hook on a stand mixer for about 2 minutes then form the dough into a ball.
- Add the remaining 1 TBSP of oil to a large bowl. Put the dough ball into the bowl and roll around to completely coat in oil. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- THE TOPPINGS:
- Preheat the oven to 420 degrees F. Trim the leaves off the cauliflower and remove the core and discard. Chop the rest of the cauliflower into small pieces with a knife or the food processor. Toss the cauliflower with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and salt and pepper. Lay flat on a baking sheet and roast in the oven until evenly charred on the edges. About 12 minutes.
- In the meantime mix the ricotta cheese with the fresh basil and the salt and pepper and set aside.
- Pull the dough from the fridge and allow to sit out at room temperature for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 475°F. Pour the 1/2 cup of olive oil onto a 18x13 rimmed baking sheet and tilt to coat evenly.
- Stretch the dough to fit the baking sheet, if the dough starts pulling away from the edges let it rest for about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the dough evenly with the mozzarella then add small dollops of ricotta mixture all over the top. Sprinkle with the cauliflower.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 17 to 20 minutes or until the bottom crust is golden brown and crispy.