Sinangag (Filipino Garlic Fried Rice)
total time: 1 hour
- 1 cup uncooked jasmine rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 TBSP peanut oil
- 8 medium garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- salt & freshly ground pepper
- MAKE THE RICE: Stir together the rice, water, and 1/4 tsp salt in a medium-size saucepan over medium-high heat. When the water begins to boil cover the pan with a tight fitting lid and reduce the heat to low. Simmer over low heat, WITHOUT REMOVING THE LID, for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes turn off the heat and let the rice sit on the stove, KEEPING THE LID ON, for 15 more minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork then spread the rice out on a large baking sheet. Refrigerate the rice, uncovered, for about 20 minutes.
- Add the oil and garlic to a wok or large pan over medium-low heat. Simmer the garlic over medium-low, stirring often, until fragrant, about 4 minutes.
- Increase the heat to high then add the cooled rice to the wok along with 1/8 tsp black pepper. Cook, stirring often, for about 4 minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat and season the rice with salt & pepper to taste.