Spicy Chicken and Peanut Stew
A bold and spicy stew made with chicken, sweet potatoes, and peanuts.
total time: 1 hour
recipe by: Frankie
- 3 pounds bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- salt & pepper
- 1 TBSP peanut oil
- 3 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 TBSP freshly minced ginger
- 2 TBSP tomato paste
- 2 TBSP soy sauce
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- zest and juice from 1 lime
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup creamy natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped peanuts
- 1 bunch freshly chopped cilantro leaves
- Pat the chicken thighs dry with paper towels and generously season with salt & pepper. Heat 1 TBSP of the oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot sear the chicken thighs skin-down down until skin is well browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Keep the dutch oven over medium-high heat and add the shallot, garlic, ginger, tomato paste, soy sauce, cumin, cayenne, coriander, lime zest, lime juice, and 1/2 tsp salt. Stir to combine then add the sweet potatoes and stir to coat the potatoes in the spices.
- Pour in the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Return the chicken thighs to the dutch oven and reduce the heat to medium-low. Place a lid on the dutch oven and simmer, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through and tender, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken thighs to a plate. Using two forks shred the chicken and discard the skin and bones. Stir the shredded chicken back into the soup.
- Slowly stir the peanut butter into the soup until well combined. Season the soup with salt & pepper to taste.
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with chopped peanuts and cilantro.
spicy recipeschicken recipespeanut recipesstew recipesdairyfree recipeseasy recipesglutenfree recipesone-pot recipespoultry recipesafrican recipesstews recipesthighs recipes