Three Bean Slow Cooker Chili
A hearty slow cooker vegetarian chili made with dried pinto beans, garbanzo beans, and black beans and topped with shredded cheddar cheese, diced avocado, and sliced jalapeno.
total time: 9 hours
recipe by: Frankie
- 3/4 cup dried pinto beans
- 3/4 cup dried garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 3/4 cup dried black beans
- 6 cups water
- 1 pound roma tomatoes, chopped small
- 1 yellow onion, chopped small
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped small
- 3 TBSP paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt & pepper
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- 2 jalapenos, thinly sliced
- Thoroughly rinse all the beans under cold water then put them a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add the water, tomatoes, onion, garlic, paprika, cumin, oregano, cayenne, 1 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper to the slow cooker and stir until well combined.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on LOW heat for 8 hours.
- Take the lid off the slow cooker. Stir the chili and continue to cook without the lid, stirring occasionally, until chili thickens a bit, about 45 minutes.
- Taste the chili and season with additional salt & pepper if necessary.
- Ladle chili into bowls and top with cheese, avocado, and jalapeno.