Polish Sauerkraut Soup
A vegetarian version of the Polish soup Kapusniak. It is fresh, clean, fermented, brothy soup hearty with vegetables and a sour briney flavor.
total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
recipe by: Rae
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups sauerkraut
- 1 cup sliced peeled carrots
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup cubed peeled yellow potatoes
- 3 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup pearl barley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 TBSP chopped fresh dill
- optional: sour cream for garnish
- Drain the sauerkraut reserving 1 cup of the juice.
- In a Dutch oven stir together the vegetable broth, water, sauerkraut, carrots, celery, onions, potatoes, garlic, barley, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to medium-low.
- Simmer for 45 to 60 minutes or until the barley and vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the reserved sauerkraut juice and bring back to a boil.
- Stir in the dill and season with salt & pepper if needed. Serve topped with sour cream, if using.